Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Sarah, meet meat.

For the last two years, since our trip to Tanzania, I have been a vegetarian. It started because the meat in Tanzania was not very desirable (lacking meat on the bones), and after not eating/enjoying meat for four months, I decided to research the vegetarian movement when I got back to the US.  After reading some of the popular slow food books by Michael Pollan and Barbara Kingsolver and watching Food Inc., I realized that leaving meat out of my diet for a while wasn’t such a bad idea. My reason being that animals should be treated fairly and humanely… before we eat them. For those of you who have seen Food Inc., (and if you haven’t, go rent it now) it highlights the mistreatment and the unnatural ways in which so much of the meat in this country is handled and prepared for consumption; it is terrifying, sad and shocking to think about animals (meat) being stuffed with hormones, unsanitary food, and living in conditions unfit for pigs. Free range (literally meaning they have the ability to cruise around a nice field of grass), living without hormones to fatten them up, and without living on top of each other in dismal conditions, is the wholesome way an animal should be raised on a farm. So, enjoy your burger, chicken, or steak tonight, but check out where it’s from, how it was raised, make sure it was a “happy chicken or cow”, (as my DC roommates would say.)

Which leads me to my Bolivian story. I knew coming to South America that I was going to have to throw up my hands and eat some meat. Dave reassured me that here, the majority of the meat does not come from factories, but is actually free range. Dave also gave me the heads up it is rare to find dishes that do not contain meat in the Bolivian culture. Alright I thought, well a little natural chicken or beef would be good for me, I’m ready. And in the month that I have been here, we usually cook a vegetarian dinner in the apartment, but I have had my share of pollo y carne in other delicious Bolivian dishes.


Like this pork salteña

The other night we were out with a bunch of Dave’s co-workers (from ILS) to celebrate Dave’s birthday and also for a farewell party for his close friend, Javier, from ILS, who left on Sunday for an assignment in Nigeria and Qatar for the next year. As our night of celebratory drinking and eating pique macho (of which I managed to eat only the vegetables and fries) came to an end, Dave’s good friend Patty told us that we were going with her and her husband to get her favorite meal, anticuchos, cow heart.

Even after my shpeil on eat all the meat you want, as long as it lead a nice life, cow heart?! I looked at Dave in terror and we both smiled and said, “Great!” Dave and another American friend had both told me that this was a great dish, wonderful meat and “you would never know it’s cow heart!” Hmmm, well I do know it’s cow heart, so now what? Dave’s plan was that he would order one and I would have a bite. As soon as we sat down at the late night, outdoor food stands of Las Islas, Patty quickly ordered two for each of us. Before I knew it, a plate with yucca and two skewers of dark meat landed in front of me.

They looked like shish kabobs I told myself, “mind over matter, mind over matter.” Dave, to the rescue, began explaining to Patty, Carlos and Boris that I had not eaten meat for two years so this was a big step. They all laughed and supported me, asking “What do you think? Do you like it?” Ok, here we go, I thought, Patty is the nicest woman in the world, you are in her country and this is her favorite meal, eat the cow heart. And I did. And it wasn’t too bad.

Afterwards, I told Dave that the hard part was that I knew it was a cow’s heart, it was completely a mental battle. We all laughed at my success and had a wonderful time enjoying our anticuchos (well, Dave had most of mine.) I’m sure you have all tried some interesting dishes on your travels, and I’m sure they all involve a great story. Please leave a comment below if you're bold enough to share!

Looking back on that night, filled with meat and Dave’s close friends, who have taken me under their wings, I’m so glad that I was invited to share their favorite dish with them. At the heart of it all, food is meant to be enjoyed with company, bringing us all around one table.

On the menu for tomorrow, llama empanadas. 

9 comments:

  1. So proud of you. Cow heart...that is a big step. The hardest thing for me to ever eat with definitely bulls tail in Spain. My host mom prepared a huge dinner for me and i could barely bring myself to bring it up to my mouth. Haha. But agreed it is more about the experience and the people you share it with that matters. MISS and LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sarah you are so nice, beatiful people it was so nice to share friday night with you...... I hope that it isn't the last time. Sorry for the bit of cow heart I didn't know that you are vegetarian :D... thank you for your comments about us and for your friendship"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! A GREAT BIG step really. very brave

    I remember the first time I ate cow's heart, that time I did not know it was cow's heart! hahahaha i think that is the only reason that I ate the delicious anticucho feeling that I was in heaven hahahaha. I do not know if knowing that was eating a cow's heart I had eaten a little of it. Maybe not
    You're right, the mind interfers the palate and taste when somebody eat something new.
    Now I love eat anticuchos but... when I have the oportunity to eat something new I prefer not to know what is it made, what I am eating. In cases of new food I just close my eyes, open my mouth and enjoy!!

    Nice blog, so interesting!

    Chau!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had some cow tongue in Bolivia, and some unnamed intestines, could have been heart. Llama is really good also! Disfrutala!

    ReplyDelete
  5. forget eating meat - did i just see the word "shpeil" in this blog? hollaaa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eating a cow's heart sort of gives a whole new meaning to the expressions like:
    have a heart,
    take heart,
    you're breaking my heart,
    heavy heart, etc.
    Now you can add: having trouble stomaching that heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha gooo Scottie! I love the part: “mind over matter, mind over matter" mostly because I can totally picture you saying that to yourself! Well, one of the most interesting dinner dishes I ever had was when I was in London and my host momma made steak and kidney pie- I asked what we were having for dinner and she didn't respond and pretty much just told me to eat it (no arguing with her because that never worked). So I did- and it wasn't until my second or third bite that she explained what it was. I almost gagged but held my composure and focused on finishing the mashed potatoes and green beans- pretty sure I left the rest of the pie to the side!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah! I can totally picture you smiling and thinking "mind over matter mind over matter". When I was in Ghana I was asked to enjoy some food I knew would make me sick -- but the chief of the village was handing it to me and everyone was smiling....I just thought mind over matter no way am I going to offend the entire village of Sokode. I ate all of it and the rough day I experienced the next day was so worth it to see how happy the village was that I was sharing in their culture!

    ReplyDelete