Wednesday, May 19, 2010

¡Bienvenidos a Quito!

Hi everyone! So I´m going to attempt a blog for my South American travels! My fabulous roommates helped me to set up a blog last minute before my mom and I left for Ecuador, and unfortunately I forgot my camera cord, so I can´t post photos until we get back to the states (on June 1). ¡Lo siento!

A little background on this trip, my mom and I are volunteering in Quito, Ecuador for two weeks, spending our days at a children´s hospital. Yesterday was our first day at work and it was overwhelming but truly amazing. There are only two children´s hospitals in Ecuador, along with tons of community clinics, one in each of the major cities, Quito and Guayaquil. So you can only imagine in an overcrowded city, how crazy this hospital is!

Our supervisor (Maria) is incredibly kind, patient, and has much for us to do- work in the child life room with patients, visit those who cannot leave their rooms and take games, coloring books, etc. to them, and join in on a foosball game when there is an opening! The kids are amazing, the poverty heart wrenching, and the doctors, nurses, incredible...already we have been asked to find a US hospital to take a Marfans patient, a 12 year old who, due to Marfans, is out of whack tall, and blind.....learning every second, and really enjoying the different culture and peoples
.


We are staying with a family who lives outside of the city, it takes about 40 mins on a bus, which is an adventure in itself, but we´ve got it down pat now, so we´re feeling good and local! Speaking of fitting in, we have probably only seen a handful of other gringos/as since we have been here and there is little to no English spoken in the capital. We are living with two other volunteers, which is great! Alex from London and another boy Shahib from London but he has been terribly sick with a fever he caught on the Inca Trail in Peru so we haven´t seen much of him, he has been at the hospital and in bed!


Ok, we´re raking up time at the internet cafe and need to get to work so more to come!
Love, Sarah and Holly

11 comments:

  1. I am so glad your roomies helped you set up this blog. Love reading about your travels so far. I am sure your brains, bodies & hearts will be exhausted by the things you see---but I am SO proud of you two for bringing happiness to these kids. Hospitalized, poverty stricken kids--tough on so many levels. Child life is like a ray of sunshine and they do amazing work. What perfect place for you two. Big hugs & can't wait for your next update. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scotty and Mrs. Scott! I miss you both and so excited to hear about your adventures. My mom went on the Inca Trail when she was in Peru! I hope your friend gets better. Travel back to the states safely!

    I talked to Erin last night and I am coming to DC over memorial day weekend so I would love to stop by and see you and your mom!!

    Love you both dearly and can't wait to hear more!
    Uni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott gals,

    Well done! Sounds like a wonderful adventure. Keep up the good work!

    With love,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ladies!!!

    I'm happy to hear that your adventures and volunteer work in Ecuador are going well so far! Have an amazing time, and I can't wait to hear more :)

    love ALWAYS,
    Dev :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola Rosas!
    So good to know that my two favorite blondes are taking over the world, one continent, one city and one hospital at a time. I've been thinking about you and following your weather. Looks like you hit the rainy season big time, so I hope your bus waits aren't too long!
    Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'e been thinking about you two!! It's wonderful to hear about the wonderful work your doing. How lucky they are to have two of my favorite people in the world. Keep posting!!
    LOL
    lila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What an amazing adventure for the two of you and an incredible experience to share as mom and daughter. Memories forever! I can't imagine how different life must be down there, and especially hard for the people who become ill, requiring hospitalization. They couldn't have asked for a better team of female energy and humor to brighten up their days. Take care, ladies...keep writing...this is so cool; i'm embarrassed to say it's the first time i''ve posted on a blog...thanks for pushing me in to the 21st century, Sarah! Take care of mom....love, fif xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes!! What an awesome blog post!

    You are both amazing!! Sounds like you're experiencing some interesting things... I can't wait to hear all about it over a bottle wine (or two!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, great start Fig! This all sounds so amazing, and I'm so pleased to hear that you are already feeling good and local. We miss you at 1319, things just aren't the same!

    I look forward to your next blog post and miss you toooons!

    xooxox,

    Feng

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy that you sent me this blog. I am sure it is difficult to express your experience and feelings into words. I find it heart warming that while these kids are suffering from serious conditions, they have people like you to raise their moral and allow them to act like they should, kids.

    I look forward to more posts! Take care you two.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to hear more! Can't wait until you return so I can hear stories and see your amazing pictures.

    You two are so amazing for doing this!

    xo
    Mere

    ReplyDelete